Thursday, April 17, 2008

Sheer Luck ;-)

Thursday, April 17th, 2008
Brandon Sheer (podcast up soon)


"Down Looks Up ", the debut record by 19 year-old NYC-based singer songwriter Brandon Sheer is a melodic, heartfelt collection of pop songs that truly capture teenage angst in all its emotional glory. Trained at New York's famed Professional Children's School and mentored by voice coach Don Lawrence (Bono, Bon Jovi, Christina Aguilera) and Gordon Grody (Alicia Keys, David Bowie), this freshman at the Berklee School of Music is looking to make a name for himself in an already crowded field while simultaneously expanding his education. Undaunted, Brandon realizes the challenges on the road ahead. "To me there just seems to be a void out there right now--a total lack of straightforward, well written, melodic pop rock songs," says the 19-year old dynamo. "I'm not claiming to reinvent the wheel here, nor do I feel that I have to. I just want to write the type of songs that people sing in the shower." Working with Xandy Barry and Wally Gagel, the production team behind recent hits by Jessica Simpson and Backstreet Boys, as well as writing with Aaron Kamin of the 90's rock band The Calling, Brandon seems to be well on his way. "The response so far on iTunes and Myspace has been amazing," says Brandon. "Well beyond what I expected," he adds. Brandon's songs combine noticeable elements of his favorite 90's alternative acts as well as classic pop artists. His sound evoke easy comparison to many of his influences including Pete Yorn, Lifehouse and Our Lady Peace. The lead single, "When You're Here" is a straightforward pop-rock love song with an undeniably catchy chorus, while "Change" is a driving rock song about moving on. Other highlights on “Down Looks Up” include “Stare At The Sun” and “When You Fall”. Brandon will continue writing and playing shows and hopes to have a full-length album out by the springtime. Keep an eye out for Brandon Sheer. The "Down Looks Up" EP is available on iTunes now!

Mr. Brandon Sheer. Quite a young fella. Like me, but I'm not a fella.
It was really interesting talking to someone that young with so much drive to get his music out there. But he's taking a bit of a different approach to doing so! Instead of taking his music on the road for mass touring, he'll be looking to selling his music to TV and Movie licensing deals. My first reaction was, "Whaaat?", but then as I thought about it, whenever I go to a movie or watch my favorite TV shows, I always end up thinking "Hmm...can't wait for the soundtrack to come out/can't wait to get to my computer so I can find out what song this is." So why not do it that way? Check out his stuff at: www.myspace.com/brandonsheer

No comments: